PART FIFTY
Evaluation Task 7
Looking back at my preliminary task, what I feel I have learnt in the progression from it to the full product is:
From this preliminary task, I learned many skills such as;
Camera movement - How we can create a panning effect or a tracking effect.
Continuity - Ensuring that the transitions from one shot to the other don't change in setting and that nothing is out of place or different to the last shot.
180 degree rule - Filming can only occur on the other side of the line to the actors/set.
Basic editing knowledge - such as cutting and moving the clips from one place to another.
The main task involved more than the Prelim did. We had to create the titles and opening of a new fiction film lasting a maximum of two minutes.
The preliminary task was an in-camera exercise and I had a simple edit to produce. I can argue that I did learn a lot more about continuity editing for the main production.
What I learned from the editing process and how I used and demonstrated continuity through:
Match on action - I learned that you should always cut a clip whilst in action, for example, if someone picked up a water bottle, the first shot would be their hand holding the bottle and moving it up to their mouth. It would then cut a shot of the person putting the bottle to their mouth and drinking from it. We used this in our sequence during the bit where the car door is being opened, is cuts from a long shot, to a close up shot of the handle being pulled, and back to a long shot which was high angle as it was shot through the window of the car door being opened.
The use of shot/reverse shot - We did not use shot/reverse shot because we panned through a keyhole which was challenging movement and therefore a huge chunk of the sequence was filmed in one wide shot, portraying their conversation in this way.
The 180 degree rule - We used the 180 degree rule because we made sure the actors were on the same side as each other.
As a result, I feel like I have made progress as we will shortly have uploaded a media product on YouTube, making me feel like I have now become an amateur film maker who understands the process.
Phoebe
ReplyDeleteYou need to complete this entry - use screen grabs from your opening sequence to help demonstrate your understanding of how you have used continuity. This will demonstrate your progress from your preliminary task.